Over the last few months medical professionals have been warning women to stop doing all sorts of strange things to their vaginas.
From inserting Lush bath bombs in there for pleasure, to putting garlic in their privates to try and cure a yeast infection, we thought we’d heard it all.
But it seems that’s not the case, as a nurse has just issued a brand new warning about putting things in the female genitals – and this time, the item in question is a hoover hose.
Yes, you read that right.
According to a nurse from Seattle, two young women, aged 19 and 23, have been admitted to the hospital where she works this week after they attempted to vacuum their period.
The woman revealed all in a viral post on Twitter which has since been made private.
The tweet explained how the women had been using the hoover in attempt to suck up the blood and make their periods end early.
She wrote: “Ladies… Please stop using your vacuum hose to end your period early. You’re gonna wind up sucking out a lot more than blood!
“There were two cases of this so far this week and both women had to be admitted. Just STOP!”
She added: “I don’t know if it was Eureka, Dyson, Hoover or some Walmart brand, but yes an actual vacuum cleaner.
“Your period has a steady flow of its own that for all intents and purposes your body can tolerate. A vacuum increases the flow over 1,000 times which your body can’t tolerate, therefore sending you into shock.”
Her posts received a lot of attention before they were hidden from public view, so much so, that a certified ob-gyn has now gotten involved in the discussion to reiterate the urgency of the situation.
Speaking to MailOnline, Dr Adeeti Gupta, founder of the Walk In GYN Care, said: “It’s a terrible unsafe idea. It can lead to severe vaginal injuries and infections.
“Menstrual bleeding is an active and natural process, it’s not just sitting in the uterus in a pool that can be sucked out. Please don’t even think about it.”
“Thankfully we don’t see this often,” she continued. “Menstrual extraction via vacuum can definitely send you into shock. It’s very real and I have thankfully not seen this happen recently, but I have seen shock happen in similar situations before. “
People on social media were simply horrified by the whole thing, with one person branding it “stupid at its peak” and another saying the shocking news had ruined their day.