If you want to lose weight you’ve got to exercise and cut down on what you eat, right?
According to experts cutting out snacking and only eating main meals isn’t necessarily the best way to shed the pounds.
Terri-Ann Nunns, founder of Terri-Ann’s Diet Plans, believes that eating little treats throughout the day can help you resist unhealthy choices brought on by hungry spells.
She said: “Healthy, low-calorie snacks in between meals can be a really useful way to help you to manage your weight.
“By doing this you are providing your body with a steady flow of energy throughout the day which should reduce cravings that could lead to you making unhealthier choices.
“Of course the number of snacks and the calorie content of these will differ depending upon how many calories you are eating as part of your daily intake.
“My advice would be to stick to snacks of under 100 calories if you are trying to lose weight.
“But, if you’re in need of something more substantial on a weekend – 200 calorie options can be a good way to get a real treat, but also one that’s relatively healthy.”
Terri-Ann believes the best way to work out what your body needs is to monitor your hunger levels and come up with the right ‘snack time’ for you.
Ideally, you’ll have a snack an hour or so before hunger normally kicks in.
But unfortunately you can’t just raid the treat drawer and eat a bar of Dairy Milk between each meal.
Terri-Ann says: “It’s really important of course that you consider what you are eating as a snack.
“The food you eat is fuel for your body so ensure this is of nutritional value and not multiple chocolate bars.”
Here are some of her healthy snack suggestions:
50 calorie snacks
- Small banana
- 15 fresh or frozen grapes
- Box of raisins
- Plain rice cake
- Low calorie hot chocolate
- One light Babybel
- 10 olives
- 8 carrot sticks with hummus
- Light soft cheese on cucumber slices
- 2 apple slices with peanut butter
100 calorie snacks
- Yoghurt pot
- Small bag of popcorn
- Small bag of crisps
- One large boiled egg
- Cereal bar
- Two turkey slices
- Five jelly babies
- 2 breasticks with hummus
- 20g dark chocolate
- 2 ginger biscuits
200 calorie snacks
- Gin & tonic with a small chocolate bar
- 2 crispbreads and mozzarella
- Slice of malt load with blueberries
- Crumpet with peanut butter
- Handful of tortillas with salsa
- Small scone with dash of cream
- 3 slices of ham and boiled egg
- 2 ginger biscuits and low calorie hot chocolate
- 10 strawberries, 12 cherries and half a cup of fat free yoghurt
- 2 meringues with strawberries and cream
Do you have a weightloss story to share? Email [email protected]