Ashley Young has revealed he turned down both Liverpool and Manchester City before signing for Manchester United.
Young arrived at Old Trafford from Aston Villa in 2011 when Sir Alex Ferguson was Red Devils manager, and he’s now, alongside Phil Jones, the club’s longest-serving player with 257 appearances to his name.
The 34-year-old winger turned full-back, who has also captained the Red Devils, said United was the only club he wanted to join once he heard they were interested.
“My agent called me and said: ‘Listen, you’re going into the last year of your contract, there are a few teams that are in for you,’” Young told UTD Podcast.
“He said Liverpool. We’d already spoken to [Manchester] City. Then he said United had come in. And I said: ‘When am I meeting Sir Alex? Where’s the pen?’ There was no other place I wanted to go.
“The history of the club, the players that were here, what they’d achieved. For me, that was the place I wanted to be.
“I wanted to go there and put my marker down on this club and play for the biggest club, for me, in the world. As soon as my agent said that… we didn’t even meet Liverpool!”
During his time with United, Young has helped the club win the Premier League, FA Cup, EFL Cup, Europa League and Community Shield.
The England international also recalled the first time he met Sir Alex and the impact he had on his decision to sign.
LIVE on talkSPORT
Check out all the live commentaries coming up across our network this week…
- Red Bull Salzburg vs Liverpool (Tuesday, 5:55pm) – talkSPORT 2
- Leeds vs Hull (Tuesday, 7:45pm) – talkSPORT 2
- Dinamo Zagreb vs Man City (Wednesday, 5:55pm) – talkSPORT 2
- Derby vs Sheffield Wednesday (Wednesday, 7:45pm) – talkSPORT 2
- Bayern Munich vs Tottenham (Wednesday, 8pm) – talkSPORT
- Standard Liege vs Arsenal (Thursday, 5:55pm) – talkSPORT 2
- Charlton vs Hull (Friday, 7:45pm) – talkSPORT 2
- Liverpool vs Watford (Saturday, 12:30pm) – talkSPORT
- Birmingham vs West Brom (Saturday, 12:30pm) – talkSPORT 2
- Chelsea vs Bournemouth (Saturday, 3pm) – talkSPORT 2
- Southampton vs West Ham (Saturday, 5:30pm) – talkSPORT
“I always remember the meeting with Sir Alex in London. I think it was probably a two-hour meeting. Ten minutes of that, we spoke about football, the rest was about horses and wine! It was one of them where the boss has just got that aura,” he said.
“He challenged me and said you either sink or swim. That’s basically what it is, you’re going to be challenged every day. And that’s what I wanted. Ultimately, it was down to me to make the decision and as soon as I could sign here, I wanted to sign.”
Saturday is GameDay on talkSPORT as we bring you THREE live Premier League commentaries across our network