Amanda Staveley has blamed rival Premier League clubs for the collapsed takeover of Newcastle United, which saw the Saudi-backed consortium withdraw their £300million offer.
The Premier League was also also criticised for not approving the deal sooner with Liverpool and Tottenham among the clubs to block the deal – according to insiders close to the takeover.
In joint statement from Saudi Arabia’s Public Investment Fund’s (PIF ) and Staveley’s company PCP Capital Partners on Thursday, it was confirmed the offer to purchase the Magpies had been withdrawn.
Staveley spoke to talkSPORT host Jim White just moments after it was announced that Newcastle’s takeover had fallen through[/caption]
“[The Premier League] had a chance, they say we have not answered all the questions and we have done so,” Staveley told The Times.
“But the other clubs in the Premier League didn’t want it to happen.
“It has been going on for so long and the opportunity was there.”
However, Staveley, who was at the centre of the bid, has given Newcastle fans a sliver of hope that the deal may not be completely dead and buried, as she told talkSPORT of the heartbreak caused by the decision to pull the plug on the offer.
News regarding the deal first emerged back in January but the Premier League had still not given it their seal of approval, with a number of factors putting the purchase in doubt.
It’s devastating news for supporters, who were all hoping the time had finally come for Mikel Ashley to sell, but at the very least they now know that the unpopular owner is prepared to hand over the club, having given this deal the OK.
talkSPORT host Jim White spoke to the consortium leader Staveley shortly after Thursday’s announcement, and he told Drivetime: “I’ve just got off the phone with a tearful Amanda Staveley who said to me: ‘I am absolutely heartbroken for the supporters of Newcastle, for club, and the community.’
“All the emotion of waiting and waiting, and the work she’s done on this bid over the last two years, came out to me in that phone call.
“The bid was real, it’s been there all the time, Ashley agreed to it, and they told me today they were going to allocate £250million more for the club, the academy and the community, but now it’s all gone.
“Having said that, and I don’t know how genuine this is, but as Amanda Staveley said ‘goodbye’ to me, she added: ‘Get it out there, though, we will not give up. We will not give up’.
“So maybe they will be back, but it all depends on the Saudi’s because 80 per cent of the £300m cash bid was theirs, with ten per cent from Staveley’s PCP and the other ten per cent coming from the Reuben brothers.
“Everybody will have their take on this, but all I can tell you is this; if you’d heard the tone of Amanda Staveley’s voice moments ago you would realise how absolutely shattered she is.
“As she said, she has been working on this with the Saudis and the Reuben brothers for two years, two years they’ve been working flat-out on it and now it’s come to this, that they have withdrawn.
“What Newcastle would have got out of it, what the club would have got out of it, what the fans would have got out of it in terms of what was about to happen to their club was something else, but now for the time being at least we’ll never know.
“But I emphasis ‘for the time being’, because as Amanda says, they will not give up and they might be back.”
Newcastle takeover timeline
- January 25, 2020: Saudi Arabia Crown Prince Mohammad bin Salman linked with stunning £340m bid to buy Newcastle
- January 27, 2020: Mike Ashley is ‘furious’ and ‘demanding answers’ after details of Saudi takeover bid are leaked
- April 14, 2020: Documents show Amanda Staveley’s PCP Capital Group talks with Mike Ashley
- April 22, 2020: Sports network beIN Sports and human rights campaigners Amnesty International write to the Premier League warning them over a possible Saudi takeover
- April 28, 2020: Reports claim Newcastle takeover could be completed in two weeks
- April 30, 2020: Mauricio Pochettino linked with Newcastle job as players such as Kylian Mbappe become transfer targets
- May 13, 2020: Fiancee of murdered journalist Jamal Khashoggi urges fans to reject Saudi owners in passionate letter
- May 25, 2020: Premier League have still not examined £300m takeover bid
- May 26, 2020: Reports claim Saudi takeover is in ‘serious doubt’ over ‘breach of international piracy laws’
- June 6, 2020: Amanda Staveley puts Newcastle takeover on hold due to £1.6bn court case with Barclays
- June 17, 2020: American businessman Henry Mauriss launches rival £350m bid to buy Newcastle
- June 22, 2020: Rumours suggest deal could be approved by the Premier League inside a week
- June 29, 2020: Steve Bruce calls for ‘clarity’ on Newcastle takeover from Premier League
- June 30, 2020: Premier League CEO Richard Masters says decision over £300m Saudi bid will be made ‘shortly’
- July 15, 2020: Proposed deal takes fresh twist as Saudi Arabia bans Middle East’s Premier League broadcaster beIN Sports
- July 30, 2020: Saudi-backed consortium withdraw £300m bid to buy Newcastle from Mike Ashley